Train

Train

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Learning the ins & outs of the language

The past couple of months have been spent filling my brain with German sounds, vocabulary, and grammar.  And even though I probably know several hundred words, I feel like I’m back at square one when someone talks to me.  However, several weeks ago I just heard several sounds stringed together; at least now I recognize words.  “Genau” (exactly) seems to be a Swiss favorite.  Learning/memorizing each nouns’ genders has been a challenge, but applying that knowledge to the verbs has been mind boggling.  Through this interesting, difficult, and definitely humorous task I was amazed to learned this following fact:  not everyone calls countries by the same name!  For example, the Swiss call Germany - “Deutschland.”  Americans would say I live in Switzerland - not the Swiss - I actually live in “Schweiz.”  Who knew?  Anyway, the learning German continues.... I look forward to the day when I can have a German conversation with a clerk or just a random person on the train.  

No comments:

Post a Comment