Train

Train

Monday, March 21, 2011

Grocery Shopping

Trips to the grocery store can be challenging and eye-opening.  Luke and I make frequent trips (2-3 times a week) to the store for a couple of reasons:  1.  we actually run out of food since we cook (we rarely eat out anymore) and 2.  since we don’t have a car, you can only haul so much on the bus ride home.  Another challenge is the language barrier - not just conversing with the register attendant, but also locating food.  For example,  Knoblauch is German for Garlic.  Now Garlic in the produce isle is easy, but when you are looking at the spices - it can be a challenge.  Along with the produce isles, the meat section is also easy to navigate.  Yes the meat is still in German, but it has small animal symbols on the corner of each package.  Now where we shop we have a wonderful variety of choices - beef (including veal), lamb, poultry, pork, seafood, etc.  Today as we were browsing through the pork section, we had an eye-opening experience.  Right next the pork was Pferd - which is the German word for Horse.  I did a double take thinking I must be mistaken, but sure enough on the corner of the package was a small picture of a horse.  I guess I stared a little too long or my thoughts were written on my face, because a man stocking the shelves pointed and said, “Ist Gute!”  Which means - It’s good!  Yeah....well, that’s one adventure I’m not sure my taste buds will ever be ready for.

3 comments:

  1. Hey...Just so you know I miss you Pre-K buddy! I love reading your blog. I feel like I'm living vicariously through you with your adventures. I check often to see what your newest adventure will be. Thanks for sharing. Luv ya bunches! Jonesie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too cute! Don't you just love the frequent shopping over here (cue eyes rolling:). I am just a hop skip and a jump from you over here in southern Germany. Really glad i cam across your blog!
    http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Horse meat is fairly common in Europe - which is probably why I don't find it strange. But I guess if you have never had it it might sound... well, gross and weird :-)

    ReplyDelete